Friday, September 30, 2011

Sweet Potato Biscuits with vegan chilli

/hihi Our little family of humans and canines worked up a huge appetite at the dog park- Ty and I played Frisbee while also throwing a tennis ball for Ellie. All 12 pounds of her streaked across the park putting the other dogs to shame!

 Tux was more interested in our Frisbee than the ball. He doesn't really play 'fetch' he plays 'I'm going to grab whatever you guys are throwing and then I want ALL of you to chase me in circles' He loves that game!

Tux playing 'Everyone chase me!!"


The air is finally a little cooler here in Florida and a few leaves are changing color. I wanted to make something fall themed for dinner! I guess it comes from reading other peoples blogs and all their fall recipes! I'd come across a recipe for sweet potato biscuits in a book I own called "Cross Creek Kitchens"

Amazon.com describes the book like this:


Long for the simple life? Take a trip and stay a spell at Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings' Florida farm with caretaker and' author Sally Morrison. Bake up some 'grapefruit biscuits' and listen to her tales of living the delightful simple life in Cross Creek More than 150 recipes reflects the seasons’ bounties and focus on natural ingredients; the Sweet ’Tater Pie, for example, calls for cane syrup or honey as a healthier alternative to refined sugar.



I modified her recipe a bit - I had to as we only have Almond Milk and Earthbalance in the fridge as we are about 80% vegan for health reasons (after watching Forks over Knives!)

Sweet potato biscuits

1 and a half cups unbleached white flour
half a cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
half a teaspoon baking soda
half a teaspoon salt
one fourth of a cup olive oil (or butter, I used olive oil to be healthier)
1 cup cooked, mashed, peeled sweet potato
1 tablespoon honey (or cane syrup)
Half a cup almond milk (or milk)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Sift white flour and whole wheat flour together in a large mixing bowl. Sift again with baking soda, baking powder and salt (or don't- I skipped the second sifting and just stirred!)

Add olive oil to mashed potatoes and mix in the honey and milk, beat it all together until it forms a kinda smooth, awesomely orange mixture!

Add the sweet potato mixture to sifted ingredients. Mix thoroughly and quickly. Turn onto floured board, adding scant amounts of flour if necessary. Don't handle the dough too much. Roll or pat to half inch thickness. Cut into rounds with a floured metal cup, or a biscuit cutter if you are fancy and actually own one :)

Bake on a greased baking sheet (I used olive oil spray) at 450 degrees for about 15 minutes. They will turn a lovely golden brown and make your house smell great! 

Makes approximately 15 biscuits (even when using a cup to cut em!)

Slice while hot and place a little earthbalance (or butter) in the middle and let it melt in...mmm.



Ty actually made the chilli for us, gosh I love a man that cooks!!! And that dollop of white on top? Garlic hummus! It was my sour cream replacer, still trying to be at least 80% vegan! Here is a recipe for chill I already posted if you are looking for one:



In other news: I resisted cake today at work and ate fruit instead, go me!  


My office is seriously a battleground of Me VS Sugar!


 I was offered fresh chocolate chip cookies within five minutes of being there on Monday!

I said "No thank you!"

I have only eaten about 5 things in the entire year though (things that were worth the calories like home made triple Dulce deleche cake..I mean OMG..)


 Habits have changed, thankfully- one of the reasons I put on weight was office goodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment