Friday, July 29, 2011

No more coffee! Eeeek....

I haven't had coffee for 16 days...that is OVER two weeks. I've been back at work for over a week two, and still haven't given in to coffee. I can't quite believe it! /blur I feel fantastic though, and I'm not going back to my old ways!

 
Hi, I am a recovering addict! /hihi


I wasn't a horrible coffee drinker. I avoided sugary, creamy concoctions like these


No matter how delicious!!


and drank it sugarless, with just a little organic milk in it...


However, I was still an addict. I HAD to have two cups a day at least, or I would get crippling headaches!
I hated how much I just had to have it, even on weekends! When I had my wisdom teeth out on the 14th, I really didn't want to drink a hot beverage. And decided NOT to! The headaches were awful, but I was on painkillers anyway, and at home for a week. I couldn't have stopped drinking it while working, I would have looked like this:





I also discovered how it can leach calcium from your bones when I was doing my nutrition class! Especially if you are a woman.


"What’s disturbing is that a tremendous number of people, including you, are made to believe that coffee is good for your health. Like a drug, coffee gets you addicted to drinking it every time. You enjoy its great taste and turn to coffee to get your energy boost for the day.  (I agree- I was at that stage!!)


In fact, drinking coffee has become so addictive that some people can’t get through the day without downing several cups in the morning, noon and night. (Hello former self!!) It has even evolved into a social drink, with consumers spending generously on sugar-loaded concoctions from Starbucks and other cafes."

Some of the bad effects of over consumption of coffee:
  • Heart disease
  • High cholesterol levels
  • Fluid loss in your body
  • Rheumatoid Arthritis
  • Stroke
  • Damaged blood vessels
  • Insomnia
  • Anxiety symptoms
  • Depleted Calcium and Iron levels in women
Now of course, coffee has been shown to have healthful effects too, in moderate amounts. I just don't believe I CAN have moderate, consistent amounts without becoming reliant on it again. I will only have it once in a blue moon methinks!

So what am I doing instead of coffee?
When I wake up, I drink a big cup of water, or two! If I didn't my body would really miss the morning 'hydration' I was getting from coffee.

I've also turned to Green Tea!



Well, not in tea form, despite being British I'm not a big hot tea drinker, probably something to do with living in hot sunny Florida!!  And I iced sweet tea is so sugar laden..

I  take two Green Tea capsules for a tiny caffeine kick with health benefits!

This will also help to keep my teeth white! Decaf coffee + any type of tea stain your teeth, so I'm really happy with taking Green Tea as a capsule!


Green tea has a lot less caffeine than coffee, and is full of antioxidants, age + cancer fighting agents and is a metabolism booster and fat buster!

Heres a little list of Green Tea benefits:
  • Increase your metabolism
  • Increase energy
  • Block fat absorption
  • Boost the immune system
  • Promote healthier skin
  • Enhance focus and mental function
  • Fight the aging process
  • Promote oral health
  • Protect the body against diseases

To Sum it Up Nicely…

A study in Japan 1994, followed 40,530 adults for up to 11 years. It found that women who drank 5 or more cups of green tea a day had a 23% lower risk of dying…from any cause! If that’s not incentive to start drinking green tea, I don’t know what is....

I like the pills because I'm not a huge fan of the taste of green tea! You can find them at walmart in the supplements section for about $3 :D Follow the daily recommendation though and don't overdo it, because as with anything that can be harmful!

I have enough energy to go to work, go to college classes, work out and then go to bed at about 10:30-11 to get up for a 6am start WITHOUT coffee!


Goodbye daily coffee addiction, I feel great! I'm full of energy and less of a zombie drone during the work week! I feel more natural and in touch with my real self, not all hopped up on caffeine!



No comments:

Post a Comment